JuliaHub is seeking a full-time application developer with experience in data visualization to work on its modeling and simulation cloud computing products. This comprises the JuliaSim multiphysics simulator, the Cedar circuit simulation tool, and the Pumas pharmacometrics modeling platforms.
We are developing a reusable web component library, tailored to our scientific domains. Examples include:
- Graphical user interface for building and analyzing system dynamics models.
- Plotting tools specialized for visualizing electronic signals.
- Parameter input forms for pharmaceutical models.
- UI for submitting, inspecting and interfacing with cloud jobs.
JuliaHub's mission is to develop products that bring Julia's superpowers to its customers. JuliaHub's flagship product is JuliaHub, a secure, cloud based, software-as-a-service platform for developing Julia programs, deploying them, and scaling to thousands of nodes. JuliaHub was founded in 2015 by the creators of the Julia programming language for artificial intelligence, machine learning, analytics, data science, modeling, and simulation.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and deliver web components and applications for scientific modeling and simulation, giving a visual representation of models created by libraries such as the ModelingToolkit.jl for acausal dynamical systems and Catalyst.jl for chemical reaction systems.
- Integrate customer feedback to iteratively improve the designs.
- Manage the lifecycle of components through technical design, development, testing and deployment. Components should be reusable, and connect to a simple HTTP API, or to our reactive backend powered by Pluto.jl.
- Build new interfaces to incorporate the latest scientific machine learning (SciML) into the visual representation and manipulation of models.
- Develop demonstrations and/or visuals and support their integration into training/marketing materials and tutorials.
Education, Expertise, and Experience Required
Basic affinity with simulation of physical systems, quantitative pharmacology, or machine learning is highly desirable. A basic, high-level understanding of tools such as Simulink/LabVIEW/Modelica is a plus.
3+ years of experience developing front-end applications. This is a hands-on role requiring good coding expertise, including:
- A front-end framework (React/Vue/other),
- ES6 modules and bundlers (experience with buildless or Deno is a plus),
- Responsive design,
- component-based design,
- Asynchronous programming, consuming HTTP APIs,
- TypeScript or JSDoc experience.
- Some full-stack experience, prior experience where you worked on both back-end and front-end.
1+ year of distributed, collaborative software development experience, including:
- GitHub (or equivalent): Opening issues and reviewing pull requests.
- CI: Writing front-end tests, and setting up a CI job.
- CD: Deploying an app using Heroku/Netlify/Glitch/GitHub Pages.
- Demonstrated scientific design capabilities through prior work in scientific visualization.
- Comfortability with asynchronous methods of communication is required, e.g. Slack, Teams, etc. Must be self-motivated, self-disciplined, and have strong time management skills. A desire to stay up-to-date with new technologies and strategies is a must.
Applicants are requested to include a cover letter outlining their previous experience developing visualization tooling (not utilizing visualization tooling), developing front-end applications, and familiarity with scientific modeling systems.